Using tanning lotions is probably the best way to make your skin glow again. Using self-tanners, tanning lotions, bronzers will help you achieve a deep, healthy and glowing tan as if you have spend all your holiday in St. Tropez. Unlike the self-tanners, the tanning lotions don’t provide sun protection and that’s why those who usually burn easily should use them very carefully.You should know that there is a difference between a self-tanner, tanning lotion and a bronzer.
Tanning lotions are products that amplify the effects of ultraviolet rays and promote the production of melanin, helping you to achieve a deep and long-lasting tan. Most of the tanning lotions contain moisturizing and nourishing ingredients that nourish and moisturize the skin in deep.
There are different types of tanning products designed for different purposes. There are: tan extender lotions (to continue the tanning process after direct sun exposure), sunless tanning lotion (to add color to the skin without direct sun exposure), outdoor tanning lotions (used at the beach for example), indoor tanning lotions (used at salons, sun beds), bronzers(to give an illusion of sun-kissed skin).Self-tanners are like a dye that gets darker and darker with each use. They add color and tan the skin over a period of time, due to the presence of DihydroxyAcetone. The self-tanners react with the amino acids and the proteins and form a golden color gradually. In other words they help you achieve a temporary tan without sun exposure. There are gel self-tanners, cream self-tanners, spray self-tanners, mousse self-tanners, lotion self-tanner, etc.
Bronzers are makeup products that give the illusion of glowing and sun-kissed skin. They add an extra hint of color after the application. They give an instant tan and highlight the skin, producing darker color on the skin.
What are the benefits of using tanning lotions?
- help you achieve a deep and long-lasting tan
- allow you to control the tanning process
- prevent skin dehydration and sun burn
- moisturize, nourish and condition the skin
- maximize the benefits of indoor and outdoor tanning
- speed up the tanning process
- intensify your tan
Are the tanning lotions safe?
Many women ask me whether it is safe to use tanning lotions, self-tanners, bronzers during pregnancy and the answer is Yes – tanning lotions are absolutely safe and they rarely cause an allergic reaction but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do a patch test before usage.
Commonly used ingredients in tanning lotions?
Most of the tanning products contain natural oils, sunflower oil, essential oils, hemp seed oil, Aloe Vera, carrot extracts, antioxidants, vitamins B, C, D, E, natural botanical extracts, minerals and even Copper that nourish, moisturize and condition the skin.
Dihydroxyacetone (DHA) is the most common ingredient in the tanning lotions as it causes the surface layer of the skin to oxidize and to create a natural-looking tan. DHA is completely safe for the skin and doesnвЂ™t irritate it. Other indoor tanning lotions contain bronzers to give an immediate color to the skin.
Some of the active ingredients found in most of the tanning lotions include melanin and L-Tyrosine (amino acid that assists in activating melanin production). Other commonly found ingredients include tea oil, copper, almond oil, olive oil, green tea extract and many other natural oils.
HOW TO APPLY TANNING LOTION PROPERLY:
Step One. Exfoliate your body
One of the most important things you should do before applying the tanning lotion is to prepare your skin, this includes: cleansing, moisturizing and exfoliating your skin.
Always take a shower and exfoliate your whole body before applying tanning lotion. When exfoliating you remove the dead skin cells, creating a smooth and firm surface that is essential to achieve a perfect application of self-tanner, bronzer or a tanning lotion. Choose a gentle body exfoliator like Clinique Sparkle Skin Body Exfoliator to whisk away surface dryness and dullness. Apply the exfoliator to your skin using rotating motions with the help of a body brush, exfoliating gloves or your hands. Start exfoliating from your feet, working up to your neck and back, don’t forget your hands, elbows and knees. Rinse thoroughly.
Always exfoliate before self-tanning because if you have dead skin cells the product won’t go on evenly and the color won’t last longer. Exfoliating your body properly will ensure that the tan won’t look patchy or uneven.
Step Two. Start the application of the tanning lotion
A tanning lotion should always be applied immediately before outdoor or indoor tanning. As I said above, most of the tanning lotions contain many moisturizing ingredients that make the product easy to apply. Begin applying the tanning lotion with your legs. Take a small amount of the product and apply it with long, firm strokes. Gently rub in the product with soft, circular motions. Apply the lotion evenly and make sure there are no missing spots, patches or hard lines. Apply the tanning lotion very carefully around your knees and feet. Pay special attention to your elbows and torso. It can be very difficult for you to apply the tanning lotion to your back. Ask a friend to do it for you or use a brush to apply the lotion. Apply a little bit of the product to the back of your neck and behind the ears too. Apply the tanning product also to your hands but remember – your hands need only a light coverage.
Step Three. Apply tanning lotion to your face
It’s essential to apply the tanning lotion also to your face and neck, around the ears and on the neckline. You shouldn’t be wearing any makeup – mascara, foundation, face powder or lipstick. Buy a special facial tanning lotion and gently massage it to your face with soft, circular motions. Use a cotton bud to remove any tanning lotion that may get accumulated around your eyebrows and hairline if necessarily. Make sure you blend evenly.
A good moisturizing tanning lotion will not only allow an even application but it will also nourish, condition and hydrate your skin. If your skin is dry or sensitive you can apply the lotion twice in order to create a flawless surface.
Useful Beauty Tips:
- Always exfoliate your skin before applying tanning lotion, self-tanner or a bronzer because the product will blend more easily into the smooth skin.
- Remember: use outdoor tanning lotion for outdoor tanning, use indoor tanning lotion for indoor tanning.
- Always apply tanning lotion before sun exposure.
- Since most of the tanning lotions donвЂ™t offer sun protection itвЂ™s essential to use and apply sunscreen in order to protect your skin from the harmful sunвЂ™s rays that may seriously damage your skin.
- When exfoliating pay special attention to the dry areas of your body вЂ“ knees, elbows, ankles, hands, feet.
- Always apply the tanning product with soft, circular motions.
- Never apply tanner on your lips, nipples, around the bikini line, over moles or freckles.
- Always work on small areas of your body to achieve flawless tan.
- Ask a friend to apply the tanner to your back.
- Make sure the tanning lotion is appropriate for your skin type вЂ“ there are tanning lotions specially designed for every skin type.
- Always start the application with your legs.
- If your skin is sensitive or dry look for tanning lotions designed specially for sensitive skin that contains more moisturizing and nourishing ingredients.
- A shimmery body lotion will complement your new tan.
- Keep your skin well-moisturized before, during and after tanning to achieve best results and longer-lasting tan.
- Always apply the product on a clean and exfoliated skin.
- Never cleanse your body with too harsh soaps or shower gels вЂ“ they may fade your tan faster.
- Always check for streaks, patches or missing spots.
- Always allow plenty of time for the lotion to be absorbed.
- Consult a specialist to find out what is best for you.
- Always read the instructions written on the box and follow them.
- Remember: Self-tanners and bronzers may easily stain your clothes.
- Never wear foundation, face powder, eyeshadows or lipstick when applying tanning lotion.
- Tanning lotions work best for people with medium complexions.
- Remember: Tanning lotions offer no protection from the sun.
- When you are at the beach always cover exposed areas with tightly clothing and wear a wide-brimmed hat to protect your head and face.
- Remember: Repeated exposure of unprotected skin while tanning may increase the risk of skin aging, skin cancer, and other harmful effects to the skin.
To learn more see also the posts:
Recommended Tanning Products:
L’Oreal Sublime Bronze Self-Tanning Gelee ($9) – This ultra-lightweight gelee formula dries quickly to provide an even, streak-free, natural-looking tan and leaves skin with a smooth finish.
Hawaiian Tropic T2 Max Indoor Tanning Body Butter($10) – To help build and extend your tan, apply prior to and after tanning bed sessions to all exposed areas of the skin. Helps prepare the skin for indoor tanning, moisturize and nourish the skin.
Clinique Body Self-Tanning Lotion ($18) – Creamy tan-maker. Develops into a truly believable tan in three hours. Keeps up appearance for three days.
LancГґme Flash Bronzer – Medium Colour Oil-Free Tinted Self-Tanning Lotion for Face with Vitamin E ($26) – This silky-smooth oil-free lotion glides on effortlessly, feels lusciously soft. Its state-of-the-art formula instantly tints your complexion while your sun-free tan begins to develop in under an hour. Leaves skin with a satiny smooth bronze glow.
Clarins Radiance-Plus Self Tanning Body Lotion ($40) вЂ“ body lotion that offers pure hydration with a plus – a luminous hint of color for a natural golden glow. Tiny mother-of-pearl particles dress the skin in a light, golden, iridescent color while ultra hydrating botanicals leave skin feeling satiny-soft and amazingly supple. Appropriate for all skin tones – all year round.
Lancaster Sun Care Tanning Lotion SPF 8 ($40) – This lightweight, silky body lotion allows you to enjoy the sun and achieve a beautiful tan. Contains SPF 8 sunscreen providing protection from the sun’s harmful UVA/UVB rays. This exclusive Heliotan formula prolongs tan while hydratros protect skin from dehydration, dryness and flaking.
St. Tropez Tinted Self Tanning Lotion Step 3 ($38) – works instantly for a streakless application that will last for days. This aloe vera based lotion is non-greasy and quick drying, with a relaxing aromatic scent. Conveniently formulated in one maximum strength shade that can be custom blended with St. Tropez Body Moisturizer to your own desired shade.
How to Use and Apply Tanning Lotion Properly
The first step is finding the appropriate lotion for your tanning needs. There are a large variety of tanning lotions on the market so you must first decide what type suits your lifestyle best.
The types of lotions available are:
- Sunless lotions
- Outdoor lotions
- Lotions with SPF (Sun Protection Factor)
- and Oils
The first step to application starts in your shower with exfoliation. This removes all the dead skins cells and allows for a deeper tan. Next you want to use a light body lotion on all the areas that will be exposed to the sun, tanning bed or even your bronzer. This will ensure you will have more even coverage of you lotion as the skin is moisturized. Next step taking an ample amount of your lotion and rub it between your hands. If you are using bronzers please make sure you have moisturized your hands with regular lotion before or you might suffer from stains between the fingers. Bronzing agents are intended to ‘stain’ the skin for the appearance of a deeper tan. One of the biggest things to remember with outdoor lotion use is to reapply throughout your day. Sweat, water and other elements will cause the tanning lotion to wear off so re-application is important.
Now that you have the basics you are ready to grab that swimsuit and start your summer fun!